Dental Health Care for Children
Dental or oral health care of children starts from the day when baby is born. Few simple steps which can contribute to healthy teeth are:
- Always wipe off gums after feeding the baby.
- Try to avoid bottle feeding as far s possible.
- Never allow baby to sleep with milk bottle in his mouth.
- Once your child starts going to play school, teach him how to brush. Brushing regularly with fluoride toothpaste avoid caries.
- Teach him good oral habits. For example, rinsing after every meal and brushing twice a day.
- Avoid thumb sucking habit. Teeth start protruding outside if this continues for a long time.
- Avoid sweets and sugary snacks in between the meal, this can lead to cavities.
- Young children tend to swallow toothpaste, so take proper care and do not allow them to swallow as toothpaste contains fluoride.
- Regular dental checkups are useful to have a proper record of baby’s teeth.
- During teething always take care of dental hygiene. Tethers or gum soothers used should be properly washed and clean.