Esthetic dentistry or cosmetic dentistry is one of the booming fields in dentistry. Everyone wants bright and shinning personality because 'Smile is the outlook of inner beauty'. Various Esthetic treatments in dentistry are as follows:
1.Veneers: Veneers are the thin layer which are fixed on the outer surface of tooth. Veneers are used when teeth stains are internal and whitening is not possible. These are widely used in celebrities’ teeth to give them better look. It requires minimum reduction of teeth; approximately 0.5mm of teeth is prepared for veneers.
Indications of Veneer:
• Small teeth: Patient having small teeth can be reshaped by using Veneer to give them appealing look.
• Discolored teeth: Internal stains which are difficult to remove can be masked by using Veneers.
• Spaces between the teeth: Some people have spaces all around which are difficult to get close by orthodontic and any other treatment; Veneer is the treatment of choice for those patients.
Advantages of Veneer:
• Veneers give uniformity in color and shape of teeth.
• It is a very quick and easy technique to give pleasing and appealing look to patient
• It makes the teeth appear straight.
• Success rate is very high at least 10 - 30 years. , if done precisely.
2.Crowns or capping: Crown preparation is another esthetic treatment. After RCT crown or capping is mandatory to restore the strength of teeth.
Types of crown:
• Metal crown
• Ceramic crown
• Porcelain fused metal crown
Metal crown: Metal crown is fully loaded with metal and is black in color. It is preferable for back teeth, or sometimes for esthetic point of view patient prefers tooth colored crown for back teeth as well. Nowadays, its usage is limited as while smiling metal is visible in mouth.
Ceramic Crown: Ceramic crown is tooth colored crown and it is in more demand for esthetic point. Places where heavy occlusion forces are present, ceramic crown has less success rate. In those metal crown or porcelain fused crown is recommended.
Porcelain fused to metal crown: Porcelain-fused-to-metal dental crowns (PFMs) have a metal shell on which is fused a veneer of porcelain in a high heat oven. The metal provides strong compression and tensile strength, and the porcelain gives the crown a white tooth-like appearance, suitable for front teeth restorations. These crowns are often made with a partial veneer that covers only the aspects of the crown those are visible. The remaining surfaces of the crown are bare metal. A variety of metal alloys containing precious metals and base metals can be used. The porcelain can be color matched to the adjacent teeth.