Insomnia is an inability to fall asleep. Sometimes the life style and behavior of parents can cause insomnia in children. Children with insomnia can not fall asleep and wake up in the middle of the night, and can not get back to sleep.
Along with insomnia some other causes contributes sleeplessness are exam fever, watching television, playing video games and talking to friends on cell phones.
If this type of situation continues for a long time, other health problems will also develop in children. A research study reported that girls are sleeping less time compare to boys.
Due to sleeplessness children may come up with partial activeness, low memory power, poor concentration and suffering from number of diseases.
Some of the healthy habits can give better sleep to children like life style changes and nutrition, include:
• Daily requirement of sleep is 6-8 hours.
• Maintain your child's usual bedtime and bedtime routines.
• Stay near until the child falls asleep.
• Make sure room is quite, dark, cool and comfortable.
• Go for warm and comforting bath to children beforebedtime.
• Avoid giving food prior to bed.
• Don’t keep changing sleeping places.
• Don’t allow to spend more time at television during day time.
• Avoid playing video games during night.
• Parents should give diet rich in minerals such as calcium, magnesium, vitamin B6 and B12 and inositol help to reduce risk from insomnia.
• Relaxation techniques like deep breathing exercises can improve sleep.