A healthy diet helps in providing nutrients such as carbohydrates, proteins, fats, fiber, vitamins and minerals for proper growth and development. Regular eating in specified intervals is a good habit of taking food.
• Carbohydrates are responsible for the proper function of immune system .Rice, wheat, maize, bread, and pasta are rich sources.
• Fruits like apples, melon, orange, banana, guava and vegetables like beans, carrots, potatoes, tomato, cabbage, green leafy vegetables etc., are rich sources of vitamins, minerals and fiber which should be included in children diet.
• Proteins helps to increase muscular development, protein rich sources are fish, eggs, meat, and pulse. Dairy products such as milk, cheese,butter and yogurt are also rich in protein, fat, calcium, and vitamins.
• Iron and calcium is necessary for the growth of a child and are obtained from green leafy vegetables, liver, and fish.
• Diet rich cereals like oats, ragi and dry fruits like cashews, almonds, dates are good sources of minerals.
• Non vegetarian foods like chicken, fish are good for the child since it is easily digestible.
• Avoid or reduce habit of taking fried food, chips, burger, sweets, cakes, biscuits and sugar drinks like soda, flavored fruit juices.