Many children will have nausea, vomiting, dizziness or fatigue when they are in a moving train, car, boat, plain or on amusement park rides. Such a condition is called motion sickness. Depending on the cause it is referred to as car sickness, sea sickness, air sickness, space sickness or stimulation sickness.
Causes: Motion sickness is a normal response which occurs when the brain receives conflicting signals from the motion-sensing parts of the body like the ears and eyes. Say for example when a child is in the moving car or amusement park ride, the eyes see the moving objects and sends the brain the same signal, but the inner ear tells the brain that the child is still sitting. These mixed conflicting messages make the child have an unpleasant ride.
Symptoms: The most common symptoms of motion sickness are nausea, vomiting, cold sweats, Dizziness, paleness of skin, fatigue, headache and increased salivation.
General tips to avoid motion sickness:
There are several ways to prevent motion sickness. Here are some tips to avoid motion sickness while traveling in the car:
• Eat a light snack as over eating and the hunger pains are risk factors for motion sickness.
• Bad odor in the car should be prevented as it may initiate nausea
• Encourage the child to look in the direction they are traveling rather than looking through the windows.
• Avoid giving spicy, greasy or fatty meals
• Carbonated drink like ginger ale prevents nausea in some people.
• Ginger is a traditional remedy for nausea.
• Peppermint and black horehound also has a good effect against motion sickness.
• Deep breaths has a significant effect in reducing the symptoms of motion sickness
• Mind body exercises like cognitive-behavioral therapy and biofeedback helps prevent motion sickness.
• Medications like Scopolamine, Promethazine, Cyclizine, Dimenhydrinate, and Meclizine are used to reduce motion sickness.
Children who travel for several days get used and the symptoms of motion sickness reduce in them. But in some children it become worsened and requires biofeedback and relaxation training.