Acid present in the stomach helps in breaking down of the food during digestion. But when there is excessive production of acid by the gastric glands of the stomach, it results in a condition known as acidity. Acidity leads to sour and burning sensation in the chest. Common symptoms include dyspepsia, heartburn and ulcer formation.
Acidity can be caused due to:
• Some problems in the functioning of the digestive system.
• Excessive intake of alcohol.
• Keeping the stomach empty for a long time or skipping breakfast.
• Eating foods rich in fats like chocolates.
• Eating oily, spicy and junk foods.
• Pregnancy, ageing and obesity can also lead to acidity.
• Inappropriate sleep can cause acidity.
Acidity symptoms include:
• Respiratory problems and coughing.
• Inadequate weight.
• Vomiting and nausea.
• Loss of appetite.
• Voice change and formation of ulcers in esophagus.
• Pain during muscular contractions.
Do’s and Don’ts for Acidity:
• Eat fruits and vegetables rich in fiber;
• Avoid spicy food rich in fats and oils.
• Avoid sour food, onions, red meats and strong drinks such as tea and coffee.
• Avoid excessive smoking and alcohol.
• Avoid eating acidic foods like pickles, curd, tamarinds and vinegar.
• Do not eat fried food, junk food, and excessive chocolates.
• Eat carbohydrate rich food like rice which is easy to digest with no acid formation.
• Have dinner 2-3 hours before sleeping.
• Eat fruits like cucumber, water melon, papaya, and banana.
• Depression and anxiety worsen the acidity problem so try to live a stress-free life for healthy and happy living.