Splitting nails or brittle nails are more commonly seen in women. Medically, this problem is known as onychoschizia. Brittle nails often result in aging but there are many instances where brittle nails are caused due to some diseases or due to some deficiency of vitamins or minerals in the body. Sometimes traumatic situations like contaminated water, situations like repeated wetting and drying of the nails, regular use of harsh detergents, or harsh chemicals in the nail polish remover can induce bitterness in them.
Signs of brittle nails include easy breaking of the nail, slow growing and peeling at the tip.
Some of the simple preventive measures that can easily ensure protection of nails from being brittle are described here:
• Reduce the use of nail polish remover. Frequent use of nail polish remover impacts coarseness and brittleness in nail tone due to its acetone content. So in case of frequent nail polish use search for product which is acetone free.
• Brittle nails signify lack of water in the body or dehydration. The problem can be managed by consuming adequate amount of water or smearing olive oil or moisturizer on the nails.
• Thyroid problem may also lead to brittle nails. In such case it is better to consult the doctor who will prescribe some supplements.
• Regular consumption of proteins helps to make the nails strong and protect them from brittleness.
• Essential fatty acids like fish oil help in maintaining the health of the hair and the nail and thus, they protect the nail from becoming brittle.
• Some poor diet and weak immunity system impact on the nail health making them brittle. In such a case, it is wise to look after the reconsider the diet, increase the immune system by taking some supplements after due consultation with the doctor and the dietician.