Oral care does not ask much from us. We can preserve our beautiful smiles by regularly taking care of our teeth and gums. Oral care also helps oneself to be away from a lot of diseases. Oral diseases are linked to life-threatening illness like heart-diseases, strokes, diabetes, and premature low birth weight babies.
Here are some of the tips recommended for healthy teeth:
• Clean your teeth after eating by toothbrush and dental floss. Choose a toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss that bear the approval of your country’s Dental Association.
• Use the brush and floss in the correct manner.
• Brush your teeth twice daily with fluoride toothpaste to prevent tooth cavities.
• Use a tongue cleaner and a mouth wash regularly after brushing
• Replace your toothbrush regularly, approximately after 3 months.
• Visit dentist regularly. Keep a check on periodontal diseases, tooth decay and other gum diseases.
• Do not ignore gums that bleed when you brush or floss or changes in the way your teeth fit together when you bite.
• Don’t use tobacco products; they can increase the risk of gum diseases and also, oral and throat cancer.
• Don’t chew on hard objects that could crack a tooth.
• Wear a mouth guard when playing active sports.
• Eat a balanced diet for good overall health, selecting a variety of foods and limit snacks.
• Eating sweetened cereals dry is bad for teeth, always add milk.
• Drinking frequent cups of tea or coffee with sugar added will increase the risk of tooth decay.
• When less saliva is available on very hot days, one should not consume foods containing sugars that stick in the teeth.
• Don’t use lemon juice for whitening the teeth because vitamin c will cause the teeth to loose calcium thus making the teeth weaker.
Strong and healthy teeth helps one look healthy. If proper care is not given to them, it won’t long before cavities and unhealthy gums make the mouth look pale and sore. Unhealthy teeth make eating and smiling difficult. So, take proper care of teeth before it falls down.