We all have been experiencing severe pain at one time or the other. Dealing with pain has become the hassle of daily life for almost everyone. In the hope of seeking relief many, though not all, get addicted to the pain medications prescribed. However, there are a lot of many other ways which will help you in dealing with the pain and prevent yourself from taking addictive painkillers.
Following are the tips which are helpful in the pain management. They are also helpful in case you are using alcohol, another drug, food or any other behaviour to try and cope with pain.
• Understand the reason for pain: Pain serves the important function in our life- to protect the body from harm. Rather than trying to fix the pain when it happens, try to fix the cause and prevent the recurrence of pain. Without understanding the cause, you won’t be able to find the solution to it. After all, prevention is better than cure.
• Use behavioral techniques to relieve Headaches: Headaches are the most common form of pain in today lifestyle. Many of these headaches can be dealt with by turning into the body needs, rather than reaching for the pain medication. Many forms of headaches can be dealt with by using behavioral pattern first and using medicines only if they are ineffective.
• Take care of your back: After headaches, back pain is the other most common form of pain. It is often caused by incorrect posture. Rather than taking pain medications to deal with, take care of your back by preventing pain before it happens.
• Recognize and acknowledge emotional pain: Often pain is emotional in origin. In that case, it can be dealt with by talking to a trusted friend, writing in a journal, talking to a counselor or at last talking to the doctor.
• Allow yourself a reasonable amount of time to heal from the injury.
• Relax into pain, don’t clench against it: Practicing into relaxation, deep breathing and medication techniques are extremely helpful in achieving this.
• Make changes in your life and enjoy your life.