Cough is one of the body’s defensive mechanisms to remove foreign materials and mucus from the lungs and throat. It affects the persons of all ages. Cough can be acute or chronic depending upon its prolonged duration.
Some of the common causes of cough can be Weather/ climatic changes, smoking, allergies, asthma and infection in the respiratory system.
Do’s and don’ts for cough:
• Avoid cold food
• Drink warm water
• Avoid eating cucumber, green bananas, papayas and water melons
• Avoid nuts and coconuts as they have high oil content in them
• Avoid mutton, caffeine, oily and spicy food, chocolates, cold drink and ice cream
• Take a proper balanced diet.
Try the following home remedies for getting rid of cough:
• Take a teaspoon of a mixture of equal quantities of onion juice and honey twice a day.
• Ginger is a very effective home remedy for cough.
• Ginger mixed with tea gives great relief from cough pain.
• Chewing black pepper with cumin seeds along with some salt proves very effective for cough.
• Cloves are also used to reduce the irritation of the throat occurring as a result of cough.
• Garlic proves to be very useful for whooping cough.
• Grape juice combined with honey is recommended for faster relief.
• Freshly prepared orange juice should be given to the patient.
• However, fruit juices and fruits should be avoided by the patient during night.