Honey is a natural sweetener used as a substitute for sugar. The basic elements of honey are sugars like fructose and glucose, minerals like magnesium, potassium, calcium, chlorides, sulphur, iron and phosphates and also include vitamins like vitamin B1, B2, B6, B5, B3 and vitamin C. Honey is found to have amino acids, traces of copper, zinc, iodine and few hormones.
Health benefits of honey are as follows:
• Honey has high nutritive value and is an instant energy booster.
• Its antioxidant properties help to build the immune system.
• Honey acts as a natural antiseptic because of its anti bacterial and anti fungal properties. It fastens the healing of wounds, skin allergies and burns.
• It is a remedy for many ailments like yeast infections, athlete foot and prevents infections.
• The antimicrobial properties of honey help in the treatment of sore throat and cough.
• Consumption of honey at night was found to release stress and promote restful sleep.
• Honey, when taken in empty stomach at mornings regularly, help to reduce weight.
• Honey helps to maintain the skin soft, fresh, well nourished and delays ageing.
• Honey is found to be a good treatment for infertility. It is found to strengthen sperms in males and uterus in females.
• Honey helps in digestion with the aid of enzymes present in it. It also relives stomach upset, gas problems and stomach pain.