Onion is in fact a food storage tissue of its plant. Onion is known for its antioxidant value, it is also a rich source for calcium and riboflavin. Nutritive value of onion for every 100 gm of edible parts is given below:
• Carbohydrates 11.1 percent
• Protein 1.2 percent
• Fat 0.1 percent
• Fiber 0.6 percent
• Minerals 0.4 percent
• Moisture 86.6 percent
Medicinal benefits of Onion
• Onion is the best preventive therapy used for colds, coughs, bronchitis and influenza. It can liquefy phlegm.
• Mix equal amount of onion juice and honey, take 3-4 spoon for respiratory disorders.
• Onion is a good source of iron and is used for anemia.
• Onion and sugar mixture is used to treat bleeding piles.
• Onion-juice taken along with honey daily will treat virile disorders.
• Onion-juice can kill worms present in intestinal.
• Warm onion juice dropped in to ears relieves from earache.
• To treat cholera take a mixture of 30 gm of onion and finely powdered black pepper seven in number.
• Onion can kill germs in mouth and is a good remedy for toothache.
• Onion can help strengthening the reproductive organs and to treat problems in urinary system.
• Onions provide immunity against disease when taken regularly in diet.
• The onion stops mucous and inhibits its fresh formation.