Having white teeth is probably a fantasy for everyone. Each person dreams of having a million dollar smile which shows the white teeth instantly. Having white teeth is a symbol of confidence, oral hygiene, youth and attractiveness.
From days immemorial, whiteners have been used to make the teeth white and attractive. Some of the natural home remedies used are discussed here.
• Lemon Juice: Brushing teeth with lemon juice, or rubbing the peel across the teeth, is one of the most frequently mentioned ways to whiten teeth naturally. Unfortunately, it is also one of the worst. Lemon juice can also strip away the tooth enamel until it is damaged beyond repair.
• Strawberries: Another home remedy involves mashing strawberries into a pasty pulp and brushing the teeth with them. This tastes nice, but may be almost as harmful as lemon juice for strawberries also contain acid, and the seeds can damage the gums or even the teeth if brushed too hard. When using strawberries for teeth whitening, be sure to brush the teeth or rinse the mouth shortly afterwards.
• Crunchy Vegetables: Vegetables such as celery, carrots, broccoli, and cucumbers are naturally abrasive and act like little toothbrushes that scrub away stains.
• Wood Ash (Lye): The potassium hydroxide found in hardwood ash is a bleaching agent and will whiten teeth. A popular home remedy is brushing with the wood ash on a regular basis. However, potassium will harm the enamel in the teeth over time and this has to taste awful.
• Baking Soda: The process of brushing teeth with a baking soda and salt mixture has been around for a long time, and for good reason. It can actually be effective in removing stains, especially with the help of peroxide. Baking soda also helps to kill bacteria which cause plaque, and reduce acids which can harm tooth enamel. Baking soda is safe to use and easily obtained.
• Peroxide: Gargling with peroxide is said to whiten teeth. This is true to some extent. The popular peroxide remedy is brushing the teeth normally, swish peroxide around the teeth, and then rinse with water. This is safe, however it may irritate the gums and cause tooth sensitivity over time.
• Baking Soda & Peroxide Combined: This may be one of the best home remedies for teeth whitening and regular tooth maintenance.