Cod liver oil is extracted from cod fish liver. It is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acid, Vitamin D, Vitamin A, EPA and DHA. It is given for the betterment of arthritis condition and given to children to prevent rickets.
Benefits of cod liver oil:
• Cod liver oil is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids which has an anti-inflammatory property. This helps to cure symptoms of arthritis, maintain brain functioning and prevents allergies.
• Cod liver oil has Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) which is a fatty acid good for eye vision, proper functioning of nervous system and glowing skin.
• Cod liver oil also contains EicosaPentaenoic Acid (EPA) which does wonders for the cardiovascular system by reducing inflammation and it also works as a natural anti-depressant.
• Cod liver oil is rich in vitamin A that is needed to maintain a healthy immune system, better eyesight and healthy skin.
• Vitamin D in cod liver oil helps to maintain strong and healthy bones.
• The fatty acids in cod liver oil helps to decrease LDL in our body.
Risks of Cod liver oil:
• Large doses of cod liver oil leads to high blood pressure.
• Increased dose of cod liver oil suppress the immune system hereby increasing the risk of infection and disease.
• The cod fishes are obtained from oceans which have the possibility of being polluted with toxins like mercury. This problem need to be considered.