Most of the people love seeing all the seasonal fruits that come in the market. They are very much excited to enhance their taste buds with such fruits but they often throw away the peel in doing so. People don’t even consider what peels have to offer and their entire focus is on the fruits.
We all are aware of the fact that a balanced diet contains both fruits and vegetables. But seldom people acknowledge that their peels also contain some essential health – protecting antioxidants.
Let’s have a look at some of the benefits the fruits peels have to offer:
- Peels of apple contain 87% more phytochemicals (cancer fighting agents) than the inner flesh.
- Although widely considered as vegetable, cucumber is technically a fruit. Its peel has silica that keeps the hair and nail healthy.
- It also keeps the skin plump and free of wrinkles.
- Botanically, brinjal is again a fruit.
- Its dark purple skin has ample amount of anti-oxidant nasunin, which has the capability to prevent brain damage.
- Apart from that, it also contains potassium, magnesium and fibers.
- Eating kiwi with its skin maximizes the intake of vitamins, fibers and minerals.
- Peeling off of kiwi deprives it of its vitamin C content.
- Orange peels contain compound ‘polymethoxylated flavones (PMF)’ that are very effective in reducing the blood cholesterol level.
- The peel of a tomato contains high amount carotenoids which is very effective in maintaining ones good health.
- The peel of pear is rich is dietary fibers and can be consumed with the fruit.
- Its helps in relieving constipation and also keeps the colon healthy.
- The skin of plum is rich in dietary fibers.