Fig also known as Anjeer (Ficus carica) belongs to the mulberry family. They are seasonal fruits found in the western parts of Asia. However, dried figs are always available.
Health benefits are attributed to the presence of vitamins and minerals in them. They are one of the highest plant sources of calcium and fiber. Dried figs are richest in fiber, copper, manganese, magnesium, potassium, calcium and vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin B1 and vitamin B2.
The health benefits of figs include treatment of sexual weakness, constipation, indigestion, piles, diabetes, cough, bronchitis and asthma. It also helps in gaining weight after prolonged weakness or physical or mental exertion. Figs are an excellent tonic for weak people who suffer from cracked lips, tongue and mouth. Specific health benefits of figs are listed as under:
• Figs lower and control high blood pressure due to their high potassium content.
• Figs help people lose weight. Because of their fiber content, they are very helpful in weight management.
• Due to their high fiber content, figs are of great significance for post-menopausal women and also for women suffering from breast cancer.
• Figs have got anti-diabetic properties.
• Due to their high calcium content, they increase the bone density, thus reducing the risk of osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis.
• Figs help in low cholesterol management of the body due to the presence of pectin in it, a soluble fiber which mobs up the globes of cholesterol and carry them out of the body.
• They contain fatty acids like phenol, omega-3 and omega-6 and thus, reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
• Figs are good for the prevention of macular degeneration or vision loss in elderly people.
• The high mucilage content of figs helps to heal and protect the sore throat.
Figs are sweet and soft and their paste is used as a replacement of sugar. But it should be noted that
• Too much of fig consumption can cause diarrhea.
• Dried figs are high on sugar and might lead to tooth decay.