Sinusitis is a common condition caused by inflammation, swelling of paranasal sinuses. These paranasal sinuses are aerated cavities present in bones of face that are developed from nasal cavities and have communication with it.
Based on location -
• Maxillary sinusitis - it can cause pain or pressure in the maxillary in the cheek area.
• Frontal sinusitis - it can cause pain or pressure in the frontal sinus cavity behind or above the eyes.
• Sphenoid sinusitis - it can cause pain or pressure behind the eyes, but often refers to the vertex of the head.
• Ethmoid sinusitis - it can cause pain or pressure pain between/behind eyes.
Based on duration -
• Acute Sinusitis - it is of viral origin and most commonly caused by cold. It is also caused by bacteria. The most three causative agents are Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae, and Moraxella catarrhalis. Other bacteria include Staphylococcus aureus and other streptococci species, anaerobic bacteria and, less commonly, gram negative bacteria. Viral sinusitis last for 7-10 days and bacterial sinusitis are more persistent. Acute sinusitis is seen more in Diabetes and HIV/AIDS patients.
• Chronic sinusitis - it is also called as chronic hyperplastic sinusitis. It is caused due to environmental factors, dust and pollution.it is caused by combination of anaerobic and aerobic bacteria are observed, including Staphylococcus aureus and coagulase-negative Staphylococci. Many patients with chronic sinusitis have more esinophils in mucus lining of nose.
|I am suffering from severe sinusitis pain. Ten years back when I had this pain, ...|
|Dear Doctor My daughter ASMI (2Years 3Month, Weight 13.5Kgs) has been diagon ...|
|I have some sinus problem for the past three years. I found that i have attacke ...|
|hi, i am living in eastham london and usually i have fluenza from last 20 years. ...|
|Dear Doctor, Here are the findings Technique: CT Scan of paranasal sin ...|
|I am suffering from infection from last 3 months and i feel some streaching when ...|
|Hello. I am replying to ID=4428. The results for nose and throat cultures were ...|
|Dr. Pls help me. I've been suffering problems in my nose & throat for some time. ...|
|I am a 38 yrs male. I am suffering from left maxillary sinusitis & mild DNP. ...|
|Sir,Namaskar-My 11yrs old son is suffering from sinus/Nasal Polyps problem.His p ...|