Sinusitis is a common condition caused by inflammation, swelling of paranasal sinuses. These paranasal sinuses are aerated cavities present in bones of face that are developed from nasal cavities and have communication with it.
Based on location -
• Maxillary sinusitis - it can cause pain or pressure in the maxillary in the cheek area.
• Frontal sinusitis - it can cause pain or pressure in the frontal sinus cavity behind or above the eyes.
• Sphenoid sinusitis - it can cause pain or pressure behind the eyes, but often refers to the vertex of the head.
• Ethmoid sinusitis - it can cause pain or pressure pain between/behind eyes.
Based on duration -
• Acute Sinusitis - it is of viral origin and most commonly caused by cold. It is also caused by bacteria. The most three causative agents are Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae, and Moraxella catarrhalis. Other bacteria include Staphylococcus aureus and other streptococci species, anaerobic bacteria and, less commonly, gram negative bacteria. Viral sinusitis last for 7-10 days and bacterial sinusitis are more persistent. Acute sinusitis is seen more in Diabetes and HIV/AIDS patients.
• Chronic sinusitis - it is also called as chronic hyperplastic sinusitis. It is caused due to environmental factors, dust and pollution.it is caused by combination of anaerobic and aerobic bacteria are observed, including Staphylococcus aureus and coagulase-negative Staphylococci. Many patients with chronic sinusitis have more esinophils in mucus lining of nose.
|Hi Doctor , I am 3 months 17 days pregnant ,I am running with block nose and ...|
|Hi, I am asmathic. Recently I had high cough and I am taking Nebulizer. On good ...|
|what is the best medicine for permanent blocked nose, i work in AC envirnoments ...|
|I am having headache from last 4 years back. Previous it was not a problem for m ...|
|im 24 wk pregnant, i got slight cold, little sputum gets stucks to the throat ma ...|
|I have sinus last few year, i have lots of pain in head, and near the eye and no ...|
|Hello. I am replying to ID=4428. The results for nose and throat cultures were ...|
|Hello doctor.. my age is 21,having sinus problems occasionally especially in win ...|
|what is the cure for maxillary sinusites ...|
|my sinus is not giving me a brake at all.i sneeze a lot my nose keep on running ...|