Sinusitis is a common condition caused by inflammation, swelling of paranasal sinuses. These paranasal sinuses are aerated cavities present in bones of face that are developed from nasal cavities and have communication with it.
Based on location -
• Maxillary sinusitis - it can cause pain or pressure in the maxillary in the cheek area.
• Frontal sinusitis - it can cause pain or pressure in the frontal sinus cavity behind or above the eyes.
• Sphenoid sinusitis - it can cause pain or pressure behind the eyes, but often refers to the vertex of the head.
• Ethmoid sinusitis - it can cause pain or pressure pain between/behind eyes.
Based on duration -
• Acute Sinusitis - it is of viral origin and most commonly caused by cold. It is also caused by bacteria. The most three causative agents are Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae, and Moraxella catarrhalis. Other bacteria include Staphylococcus aureus and other streptococci species, anaerobic bacteria and, less commonly, gram negative bacteria. Viral sinusitis last for 7-10 days and bacterial sinusitis are more persistent. Acute sinusitis is seen more in Diabetes and HIV/AIDS patients.
• Chronic sinusitis - it is also called as chronic hyperplastic sinusitis. It is caused due to environmental factors, dust and pollution.it is caused by combination of anaerobic and aerobic bacteria are observed, including Staphylococcus aureus and coagulase-negative Staphylococci. Many patients with chronic sinusitis have more esinophils in mucus lining of nose.
|Thanks for your prompt response doctor. Tests for TB included Mantoux, IgG, I ...|
|my cousin is 30 years old,she is sinusitis and also got lactation failure ,if a ...|
|hi Doctor, I'm suffering from cough with yellow phlegm since last 5 days. I t ...|
|yes Sir whenever i have head bath sneezing running nose pain in the eye brows in ...|
|I am a 38 yrs male. I am suffering from left maxillary sinusitis & mild DNP. ...|
|I am 25 year old,I had a little headache in the left side of the head, and it is ...|
|I have some sinus problem for the past three years. I found that i have attacke ...|
|I am a patient of sinusitis & mild DNS. Sometimes causing nasal bleeding in ...|
|im 24 wk pregnant, i got slight cold, little sputum gets stucks to the throat ma ...|
|How do I know if I'm a candidate for endoscopic sinus surgery? ...|