Lupus is a chronic, autoimmune and inflammatory disease that affects the different body systems including joints, skin, blood cells, heart, lungs, and kidney. It occurs when antibodies attack the healthy cells present in the body. It is also called Lupus Erythematosus (connective tissue disease). Lupus is difficult to diagnose and is different from person to person.
Lupus affects both men and women but it is eight times more in women. It can occur at any age but generally between 10-50. It is seen more commonly in African American and Asian people.
Types: Lupus is of following types:
Systematic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) - it is the most common form and it affects any organ of the body from skin to internal organs like lungs and kidney. It has the following sub-types:
• Subacute Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus - in this lesions are seen on neckline or fore arm. It is seen in mostly white women of age 15- 40.
• Tumid lupus Erythematosus - in this skin lesions are edematous and are seen on trunk. It is rare.
• Chilblain lupus Erythematosus - it is chronic and unremitting form of lupus Erythematosus. It is seen on fingertips, calves, rims of ears and heels. It is seen especially in women.
• Lupus Erythematosus - lichen planus overlap syndrome - in this skin lesion are Large, hypopigmnted and seen as pink or red patches.
• Lupus Erythematosus panniculitis - it is seen subcutaneous nodules and are commonly firm, non tender.
• Verrucous lupus Erythematosus - in this lesions are present on arms, hands with non-puritic papulonodular lesions resembling keratoacanthoma.
Discoid Lupus - its an skin affecting disease it is different from SLE by severity of rashes
Neonatal Lupus - its an rare form that affects foetus
Drug- induced Lupus - it is caused by certain type of drugs
|My wife is a SLE patient for 3 years.Pain occurs in the joints, muscles and head ...|
|Thank u doctor for the advice. S.L.E and Neutropenia, both have been diagonose ...|
|i am 19 year old and is diagnosed with SLE disease and is taking wysolone due to ...|
|Reply of: is it true that 3 mg deflazacort is equivalent to 5 mg of omnacortil? ...|
|Dear Sir, My father is suffering from Systemic Lupus. He is taking PREDINOS ...|
|Dear Doctor, my friend is in srilanka and she is 19 years old.she was suffe ...|
|i am taking predisolone and azoran for seven years. now is there any possibiliti ...|
|my father is suffering from systemic lupus erythematosus from last 3-4 years. R ...|
|Respected sir, i am miss sunita, 27/F. i m diagonised with sle lupus, 2006. now ...|
|is omnacortil a better drug than deflazacort as far as the pregnancy in sle is c ...|